WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CONTACT THE ASTANGA STUDIO ?
The best way to get in touch with The Astanga Studio is by emailing email@example.com You can also reach Jen Chapman by phone at +27 83 450 4158. We are typically not available to answer calls shortly before and after each class, due to in-person inquiries.
WHERE TO PARK ?
- Please either park between the 2 gates on the left, in front of studio or at the back of the building, guided by the sign saying Studio Parking. Please keep driveway to back parking clear and from time to time due to heavy rains the parking at the back will be closed. But a sign will indicate this when this happens.
What are the studio policies?
- Please read our studio polices under the ABOUT US tab on our home page of this website.
- We do not allow shoes, cell phones or excess luggage etc. in the studio.
- Please sign in to class in the downstairs training area, before entering the studio.
- All children under the age of 21 must have a liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian
The Astanga Studio is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. Please consider not bringing your valuables with you into the studio.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE VARIOUS CLASSES ?
- FOR THE YOGA CLASSES:
- Come to class hydrated; don’t try to play catch up with drinking water right before class and no water during yoga class, you may hydrate afterwards.
- Avoid large meals up to three hours prior to practice, as this can lead to nausea or cramps, especially in twists, deep forward bends and inversions, digesting food also takes energy that can make you lethargic for practice.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early before your first visit to complete the new student form and get settled.
- If new, you may want to set up in the back row so you can follow students who practice regularly.
- Listen to the instructor’s guidance as they describe the poses. They will provide cues to help you achieve proper alignment and improve depth.
- Take a break if it becomes too challenging.
- Don’t get discouraged. With each class, it becomes much easier to make it through all the poses.
- DANCE CLASSES: You may eat before class at your own discretion and drink water during class but please step out to hydrate.
- ACROVINYASA CLASSES: You may eat before class at your own discretion and drink water during class but please step out to hydrate.
- BUDOKON CLASSES: You may eat before class at your own discretion and drink water during class but please step out to hydrate.
- PLEASE NO BOTTLES OF WATER/FOOD IN THE STUDIO.
HOW LONG IS A CLASS AND WHICH CLASSES MUST I BOOK FOR?
- You are required to book all; Dance, Acro, Budokon and 5am Yoga Classes.
- ASTANGA YOGA:
- Led classes are 90 minutes.
- Mysore style classes can vary from 90-120 minutes.
- Beginners will have much shorter Mysore practice 45-60mins.
- Express classes are 60 minutes.
- DANCE CLASSES:
- Dance fitness 60mins
- Contemporary Dance 90mins
- Acrovinyasa Intro 60mins
- Acrovinyasa Full Class 90mins
- Budokon Intro 60mins
- Budokon Full Class 90mins
WHAT TO WEAR?
- Comfortable clothing that you can move in. You could always browse in our shop for some options.
- Arrive clean and free of scents that might distract or offend others.
- Preferably no noisy jewellery (e.g. multiple loose bangles/bracelets).
- For the yoga classes it is a good idea to bring a sarong to drape over you during relaxation.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO CLASS ?
- Hand towel.
- Yoga mat.
- We use mats for; Yoga, Acro and Budokon. Bring your own mat if you have, if you don’t Rental Mats are available for R10 for adults and R5 for kids yoga, in the training area downstairs.
- When you are more comfortable, you can buy your own mat from our shop
ASTANGA YOGA CLASSES:
FOR THE MYSORE CLASS, DO I NEED TO KNOW THE ASTANGA SEQUENCE BEFORE STARTING AN ASTANGA MYSORE CLASS ?
- No, you will be guided through the sequence according to your ability, as your practice grows you will be able to flow into your own personal Mysore practice.
How many times a week do I need to practice?
Traditionally we practice 3 to 6 times a week. And even if you are only able to make a class once a week then 10 mins of Sun Salutations at home 3 to 6 times a week can be amazing.
What is the significance of the opening and closing chants?
The opening chant is about giving thanks to our teachers for passing on yoga and in particular Patanjali, the Sage who gave us the Yoga Sutras – the 8-fold path or system to Self realisation. Astanga yoga being part of the 8-fold path. The closing chant is about asking or sending positive energy outwards. Giving hope that those who lead, do so with compassion, kindness and love.
WHAT IS A NEW/FULL MOON LIGHT STRETCH CLASS ?
Traditionally we don’t practice Astanga Yoga on the New/Full Moon as the cycles of the moon affect the tides, so to do they affect us, you can take this as a rest time or do light stretches while we observe the breath, no agile movements.
WHAT TIME MUST I ARRIVE?
- You may arrive 15 mins before the start of any scheduled class time, (yoga, dance, acro and budokon) if you do come earlier please note you may have to wait as there could be other classes in session which are not on the schedule. (eg.private tuition)
- The Astanga Mysore Classes start between 7:30am & 8am (6:30am on a Thursday) in the mornings and between 17:15pm & 17:45pm in the afternoons. This may be very confusing to beginners but you will understand why when you come to class.
- If the class has started please join in quietly.
WHAT MUST I BRING AND WHAT TIME DO I ARRIVE FOR WORKSHOPS AT THE STUDIO ?
- Parking, we have 2 places to park, one in front of studio and two at back of house, once you come in second gate please keep top access of driveway clear as that leads to back parking. If you can come with a friend to save space or even better get dropped off.
- Arrive 15mins before to settle and chill, orientate yourself, have a browse in the shop.
- 3. Registration, if you havent come to The Astanga Studio before please either get the indemnity form off www.astanga.co.za or you can fill it out in the training area below the studio.
- Bring water, mat and a small towel. (You may hire mats R10) Please dont take water into studio you can leave it on the landing to the side, remove shoes before entering and please if you have yoga bags etc. you can leave them on the lockers downstairs to avoid studio clutter.
- Toilets, we have 2 toilets and 2 showers, the one is downstairs, walk through the shop and massage room, bathroom is at back. The other toilet is at the top of the stairs next to the studio. (we have a 3rd guest toilet inside the house which can also be used if necessary)
- Venue; 74a Old Main Road, KLOOF, there will be a colourful hawaiian lei hanging on the postbox.
- HAVE FUN
WHERE DO I LEAVE MY VALUABLES?
- Best not to bring valuables/lock them in your car as The Astanga Studio will not be held responsible for any loss or damage to your personal goods. If you must, please leave keys and wallet in pigeon holes provided inside the studio and please leave your mat bag and change of clothes etc. downstairs on shelves provided.
USE YOUR QUIET VOICE ON ARRIVAL
- Inform your teacher if you must leave early before class begins and park accordingly.
WHAT CLASSES ARE APPROPRIATE FOR BEGINNERS ?
- All the Astanga Yoga Classes
- All the Moon Vinyasa Classes
- The 60 min Budokon Class
- The 60 min Dance fitness Class
- The 60 min Intro to AcroVinyasa Class
DON’T PRACTICE ON HEAVY MOON DAYS (MENSTRUATION) AS IT GOES AGAINST FLOW.
- Take this time to rest your body.
NEVER PUSH YOUR PRACTICE
- Do what you can without injury or straining yourself
- You will get further quicker if you take a loving attitude towards yourself and work from where you are, not from where you think you should be.
DO create an intention for your practice to help you focus
AND ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN DON’T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY !!!